Just saw a movie...and thought of writing this post on my all time fav "parallel cinema" movies...
1. Suraj Ka Satva Ghoda - This is a movie by Shyam Benegal..talks about the life of a small-town person..a boy and his love interests till he transforms into a man of the world...beautifully directed and awesome portrayal by actors like Rajit Kapur...amrish puri...
2. Utsab/ Dahan/ Bariwali/ Unishe - all Rituparno Ghosh movies....all great scripts..and all well-directed...across the story of a joint family and all its drama and emotions portrayed during the few days they get together at Durga Puja...Dahan..about the courage shown by a young girl in saving a woman from being molested by a gang of boys amidst a busy metro station...Bariwali..a beautiful story of an old spinster portrayed by Kiron Kher...who gets involved in a movie shoot...and Unishe the troubled relationship between a famous mother and not-so-famous daughter
3. Ardh Satya/ Arth/ Mirch Masala - Smita Patil movies..with strong portrayal of female characters...across different strata's of society...in completely different settings ...showing the deep-seated corruption in metros...the intricacies of a broken marriage....the rebellion shown by a simple village woman in trying to protect her dignity.
4. Ek Din Achanak - a remarkable movie which shows the characters of different people in a family left puzzled by the disappearance of the father
5. Sparsh/ Ijaazat - Naseeruddin Shah in stellar performances...one as the principal of a Blind School...the other as an estranged husband...
6. Bhuvan Shome - the first new-age movie of its kind...with a one-of-its-kind performance by Utpal Dutt
7. Vijeta/ Umaro Jaan - rekha movies....both my all time fav...one for the army the other for the poetry
8. Katha - A Sai Paranjpai movie...where the slow and steady actually wins the race
9. Kamala ki Maut - set in the Mumbai Chaul...showing different families in different situations come together by the suicide of one of the tenants
10. Shatranj ke Khiladi/ Seemabaddha/ Ghare Baire/ Pratidwandi - Satyaji Ray...no descriptions required I guess!
11. Titli - an Aparna Sen movie which shows the beautiful relationship between a mother and a daughter portrayed by the real-life duo.
Well...these are about it!....love all these movies....maybe I've missed many...but these are definitely the must-see list